How to install Universal coils or springs on your mazda
information is not guaranteed to be complete or accurate. If you attempt this
install(Bruce Scott and/or Protosport Racing) are in no way responsible or to
be held liable for any information or advice given.
I recently upgraded the fuel pump on my Protege. Being as I
will be going turbo I wanted to make sure that the car is capeable of handleiing
the future fuel needs. I have basically listed my process as I have went through
them while installing this pump.
Please be very careful when you are working
around the fuel area. Take all precautions to avoid any types of sparks or any
- I took off the gas cap
- then I pulled out the seat bench cover
- then I took out the aluminum cover over the actual pump
- after that I cleaned the area around the pump, with a shop rag and some
- then I took off the screws on the pump holder. You have to make sure you
use a good screwdriver and get a good grip on the screw
- then before you pull the last screw, you just take a pliers and pull the
two hose lines attaching to the pump inlet and outlet
- pull the last screw and carefully lift out the pump assembly ... (take your
- then you take another shop rag and cover the pump entrance on the tank so
dirt can't get in.
- take the pump ass. and unplug the power wire, then pull off the rubber band
bracing the pump
- Now you can pull the holding clamps on the black hose down and pull the
- Install the new filter on the pump -- no need to use the old filter ---
makes no sense --
- then install the little silver clip on the filter holder peace and install
the pump back in to the brace
- Just make sure you reinstall everything and plug in the wire to the pump.
You won't need to splice wires or change the plug as it is the same ... --
I guess 1st gen rx7's and 2nd gen protege's use the same plug .. hehe. --
- Reinstall the pump in reversal of removal (which is explained above)
- Install the screws but don't go crazy tightening them -- also make sure
the washer is lined up properly
- reconect fuel hose and clean up any fuel spillage
- replace clamps and replace aluminum cover and screw and seat
- Go and put the key in the ignition and turn till dash lights up but not
starting the car 2 times...
- then start the car and let idles ... your done,, enjoy.
impressions of pump..
I didn't drive the car, but the idle once the car was started was much much
smoother. I was very impressed... It was basically the same result as my friends
civic that we installed the fuel pump in